My name is Maryann. It means “Bitterness of the Sea”. I’m not so keen on that. My sister and boyfriend call me Mari. “Mar” means “ocean” in Spanish. I’ll just drop the “bitterness” for convenience.
I guess I was destined to love water, right? I mean my favorite Disney movie as a kid was “The Little Mermaid.” So there is that. Also, this summer I got my Open Water Scuba Diving certification and then followed up with my Advanced Open Water certification this fall. I am in love with breathing underwater and try to dive as much as possible on my travels.
I’m a self proclaimed: Nerd and historian. Learning about the traditions, cultures, and histories of the places I visit interests me. On my travels I visit museums, walk around a lot to explore, hit up the “go to” and “touristy” spots but I also like to find my own hidden gems. I bring back souvenirs for myself in the form of local artwork and pins/badges. I just need to find a cool way to display them. I have some ideas.
- Big on family, very close to my Mom and younger sister
- Born in San Jose, Costa Rica
- Live in Maryland, USA and have for most of my life
- Went to university and graduate school in Morgantown at West Virginia University
- I’m a momma to a 6-year-old boy
- My tattooed and bearded boyfriend calls me “Waves”
- I work full time in government procurement
- I currently attend George Washington University as a part-time (2nd masters)
- Scuba Diver
- I research flights on a daily basis, its an addiction, this is not a joke
- GoPro enthusiast
- Have three of the best friends anyone could ask for
I am happy with solo travel but I also love to experience new places with friends and meeting new people on my travels.
Hope to see you somewhere out there, for now, thanks for visiting.